this is fast speed speaking... tots and feelings shared...

Monday, November 17, 2003

Big frogs leaping everywhere**

Yesterday I visited a bookstore to checkout some travel books to Bali as I am planning a trip there. I have been dreaming of visiting this Hindu island many moons ago, so when I finally decided on a date, I was so excited about the trip that I had no idea(s) where to start planning (except the transportation & accommodation part which can be easily handled as long as u have $$) - and thus, came the not-so original idea of travel books (which I stole from mom. You see, she has tonnes of books on travel - Europe, China, etc etc.. well, except Bali-lah).

These books are pretty informational, but do check out the publishing dates to make sure the nice building/statue/wall that you see in the books are still there :))

I only managed to find two books on Bali - Lonely Planet and Rough Guide. Pretty much the same thing, culture, history, accommodation, transportation, etc.. Not exactly what I wanted. With Malaysia being its neighbor (albeit Bali being a far one) I dun really need that type of info. What I need are:

1. Places not to be missed
2. Great things to do
3. Where to lepak and have fun
4. Basically anything out of the ordinary (c'mon, I paid so much wor)

The books only cover about 10% of the above-mentioned, the rest are the usual description of places (hey, why do I need these when I'll be visiting the place?! Might as well watch Discovery Travel la, like that.. ) and listings that I suspect are copied from Yellow Pages. And they are also damn expensive!!

Of coz, I din buy any, haha. I did the next best thing and visited my best fren - the Web! I always tell people that the Web is where you can find anything and nothing -- Hey, why din I do that in the first place? *Knock my head* Humans are, as usual, good at #@$%& other ppl but themselves!

There are tonnes and tonnes of travel guide sites on the Web that I can read until I vomit. What's the point of buying books when you can read 'em on the Web, and then print it on company printer for free?! (We are using a Ricoh Aficio btw, so I got a free book in a zap! Binding and all - free too, haha!)

**There is a Chinese saying that 'there is no such thing as big frogs leaping everywhere on the street'. It means to say that it is quite unusual to see big frogs, yet to see them jumping everywhere. Or, in short, it is impossible! The English equivalent is 'there aint no such thing as free lunch'. But there is - I have just proven to you!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home